Muskrat Hunting Season
Season Dates: Apr. 1 - Aug. 31
- The season is open only to landowners and lessees, including School and Public Land surface lease holders, on land they own or operate and to state, county, or township highway officials within public road right-of-ways are allowed to take muskrats during the season.
- Only .22 caliber or smaller rimfire cartridges, muzzleloaders of . 45 caliber or smaller, shotguns with non-toxic shotshells, and legal archery equipment may be used.
- West River: Year Round (West River except Black Hills Area)
- Black Hills Area: Nov. 1 - Apr. 30 (Black Hills Fire Protection District south of I-90 and west of SD Hwy 79)
- East River: Nov. 1 - Apr. 30
No trapping on or in muskrat houses of any size after Mar. 15.
Share with Us