Mineral sites

Justin Pliska

Justin Pliska
Total Posts:  1
Joined  02-08-2016

02 August 2016 09:56

As we all know in state of South Dakota you can have a mineral site/ bait station Feb1 to August 15. Except during I believe turkey season, anyways I was wondering when it comes time to pull the bait and mineral how do you guys “clean” the area. Because even though you pull the trophy rock or the mineral tub there is mineral that leeched into the ground. And a few years back I heard of people getting ticketed for baiting, because the warden did soil test. I was just wondering how everyone else handled this situation. Thanks for any tips!

Dana Rogers 1

Dana Rogers 1
Total Posts:  2
Joined  02-08-2016

02 August 2016 10:56

Justin,
I’d recommend contacting your local CO and asking them directly.  That’s why I don’t put any in contact with the soil, same reasons you mentioned.  I do have a friend closer to SF and he got the OK from their CO to simply cover up the dirt/hole with a piece of tarp and plywood covered with a cinder block.  Best to get it from your local CO though.  Please report back what you hear.

David Christopher Reiss

David Christopher Reiss
Total Posts:  4
Joined  22-07-2016

23 August 2016 17:54

-No person may establish, utilize, or maintain a bait station, as defined above, on lands owned by the department and on properties managed and classified by the department as Game Production Areas, State Parks, State Recreation Areas, State Lakeside Use Areas, State Nature Areas and State Water Access Areas.

Keep this in mind when thinking about creating a bait station, the aforementioned sentence is paste and clipped directly from the SD Hunting Regs.