2014 Turkey, Waterfowl, Mountain Lion and Bobcat Seasons Finalized
The South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks (GFP) Commission has finalized the 2014 fall turkey hunting season. The fall turkey season will begin Nov. 1, 2014, and end Jan. 31, 2015.
Fall turkey hunters will see a reduction in turkey licenses available and the closure of several West River and East River counties. The Black Hills unit includes a boundary change which retains an open area on the eastern and southern areas of the Black Hills; including a reduction in licenses from 1,500 to 750. Fall turkey hunters will be limited to a total of two turkey licenses.
The South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks (GFP) Commission finalized the 2014 waterfowl hunting seasons at their August meeting.
2014 Duck Hunting Season Information:
- High Plains Zone: Oct. 11, 2014 - Jan. 15, 2015
- Low Plains North and Low Plains Middle Zone: Sept. 27 - Dec. 9, 2014
- Low Plains South Zone: Oct. 11 - Dec. 23, 2014
- Daily Limit: 6 ducks
- The duck limit may be comprised of no more than five mallards (which may include no more than two hens), three wood ducks, three scaup, two redheads, two pintails and one canvasback.
- In addition, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service recently approved an experimental three year bonus blue-winged teal season; which allows hunters two additional blue-winged teal for a daily bag limit of eight ducks the first 16 days of the season.
- Possession Limit: Three times the daily bag limit.
2014 Goose Hunting Season Information:
- Light Geese Statewide: Sept. 27 - Dec. 21, 2014
- Canada Geese (and Brant):
- Unit 1: Oct. 1 - Dec. 16, 2014
- Unit 2: Nov. 3, 2014 - Feb. 15, 2015
- Unit 3: Jan. 10-18, 2015
- White-Fronted Geese Statewide: Sept. 27 - Dec. 7, 2014
- Daily Limit:
- Light Geese: 50
- Canada Geese: Unit 1: 8 | Unit 2: 4 | Unit 3:4
- White-Fronted Geese: 2
- Possession Limit: Unlimited for light geese. All other geese would have a possession limit of three times the daily limit.
The Commission's finalization includes an increase to the daily bag limit for light geese from 20 to 50. The Canada goose season includes a change to the start date for Unit 2; which will begin on a Monday and end on a Sunday. Harvest information indicates a higher level of opportunity and participation at the end of the season; shifting the opening weekend to the end of the season.