New Archery Restrictions Proposed
On June 5th, the SD GFP Commission will hold a public hearing in regards to some proposed changes to the archery regulations within South Dakota.
Commission Meeting Dates:
Proposal - May 1,2, 2014
Public Hearing - June 5, 2014 in Yankton
Finalization - June 5-6, 2014 in Yankton
Recommended change from last year:
Modify archery equipment restrictions as follows:
ARSD 41:06:05:01. Archery equipment restrictions. A person hunting with bow and arrow may not use or possess any of the following:
(1) Explosive, poisonous, hydraulic, or pneumatic points;
(2) Barbed points except for taking fish and frogs;
3 2) Crossbows and draw-lock devices that hold the bow at partial or full draw except as provided in chapter 41:09:12; (4) Bolts or darts;
5 3) Arrow rests that have more than three inches of continuous contact with the arrow;
6 4) Electronic devices mounted to the bow that aid in the taking of game, except that cameras, video cameras or cell phones used exclusively for photographic purposes, lighted sight pins and illuminated arrow nocks may be used;
7 5) Electronic arrow or electronic string releases;
8 6) Compound bows with a let off of more than 80 percent;
9 7) Compound bows shorter than 28 inches as measured from axle to axle the top of the upper wheel or cam to the bottom of the lower wheel or cam; (10) Mechanical broadheads while hunting elk; (11) Mechanical broadheads with a cutting diameter greater than two inches; or
12 8) Telescopic sights and electronically lighted sight pins.;
(9) An arrow, including the attached broadhead, weighing less than 275 grains when hunting big game animals;
(10) An arrow that is less than 26 inches long when measured from the notch of the nock to the end of the shaft, not including the blunt or broadhead;
(11) An arrow without a broadhead (fixed or mechanical) that has at least two metal cutting edges, except blunt points may be used when hunting turkeys;
(12) A bow that measures less than 40 pounds pull when hunting elk or a bow that measures less than 30 pounds pull when hunting all other big game animals.
41:06:05:02. Minimum size of bow and arrows. Big game licensees hunting with bow and arrow shall be equipped with a bow of not less than 40 pounds pull. The broadheads shall be of metal, have a cutting diameter of at least 7/8 inch wide, have at least two cutting edges, and except for turkey hunting shall be at least as long as it is wide. An arrow and attached broadhead shall weigh at least 275 grains when used for hunting big game animals. Blunt points at least 9/16 inch wide may be used for hunting turkeys. The arrow measured from the notch of the nock to the end of the shaft not including the tip or broadhead may not be less than 26 inches long.